Click a link below to view the information for firearm hunting in the country your interested in.

Benin     Cameroon     Central African Republic     Ethiopia     Mozambique     Namibia     South Africa     Tanzania     Zambia     Zimbabwe



Visas are required to enter Benin.  Visas are available from the Benin Embassy in Washington, D.C. or from the Benin Consulate in New York City.  The price is $140 for single entry if obtained from Washington and $150 if obtained from New York City.  The visa application form may be obtained here:

Yellow fever vaccination is required for travel to Benin.

In order to import firearms into Benin you must fill out a form that can be obtained by your outfitter from the wildlife department.  You will need to provide 4 passport sized photos along with your firearms make, mode, caliber and the amount of ammunition you will bring.

A maximum of three rifles are allowed.  Semiautomatic rifles are not allowed.

A representative of your outfitter will assist you in clearing your firearms.

International Flights arrive at Cotonou.  Service is available from Europe or via Johannesburg, SA.



Visas are required of US and Canadian citizens to enter Cameroon.  They should be applied for well in advance. They may be obtained from the Cameroon Embassy in Washington, D.C. or a Visa service may be utilized. The forms are available via the link below.  The following are requirements for getting a visa issued to visit Cameroon:

  • Fully completed visa application form for Cameroon and required declaration
  • Passport size photographs
  • Valid national passport and one copy
  • Original of valid visa and one copy if you are a national of another country
  • Your current bank statement and one copy
  • Confirmation letter and one copy from your travel health insurance stating the coverage
  • Invitation / reference letter from your Outfitter
  • Proof of group travel / hotel reservation in Cameroon / airline ticket reservation for Cameroon and one copy
  • Visa fees for Cameroonian visa
  • Proof of Yellow Fever Vaccination

Visas are good for a maximum stay of 30 days or up to 3 months, depending on the type applied for.  Visas good for 30 days cost around $122 US and visas good for up to three months cost approximately $163 US.

Proof of Yellow Fever vaccination is required for entry to Cameroon!

A Cameroon Firearms Import Permit will be required and can be obtained here.  Firearms Import Permits cost $560.  You can take two rifles into Cameroon with you.  You should retain the copy of your Firearms Import Permit and provide your outfitter with a copy, as they will need to apply for the various hunting licenses that you require.  If the outfitter is late getting to the airport, you will need the original Permit to be able to clear your firearms.

The primary entry airport into Cameroon is located on the coast near the city of Douala.  Douala is served from either Brussels or Paris.  After clearing customs, you may take a charter flight directly to your hunting destination or a commercial flight to the capital city of Yaoundé´, which is located near the center of the country.



Visas are required for all citizens traveling to C.A.R.  Visas can be obtained from the C.A.R. Embassy in Washington D.C.  The fee is $150.  A single entry visa requires two application forms, two passport sized photos, proof of round trip ticketing, and a Yellow Fever Immunization Certificate.

A temporary permit is needed to import a firearm into the C.A.R.  Forms are available from the Wildlife Department and will be obtained and applied for you by your outfitter.

The permit requires you to provide your personal information including your occupation, the manufacturer, caliber and serial number of your firearms, and the dates of your arrival and departure.

A maximum of 3 firearms ( 2 rifles and 1 shotgun) are allowed to be imported.  Handguns are allowable but require a special permit.  No semiautomatic weapons are allowed.  The minimum caliber for dangerous game is .375.

A duty ($3.67/cartridge) is imposed on the number of cartridges used, so your ammunition will be inspected carefully both when entering and exiting C.A.R.

A Yellow Fever Vaccination is required to travel to the C.A.R.!

The only international Airport in C.A.R. is at Bangui.  Most international flights to Bangui originate on Air France from Charles de Gaulle Airport in Paris.

If you are traveling by charter aircraft, you may be limited to 40 lbs. of baggage.  This may necessitate bringing only one firearm, so choose your weapon carefully!



Visas are required of all visitors to Ethiopia.  Visas may be obtained through the Ethiopian Embassy in Washington D.C. or upon arrival.  Visa application forms are available here:

A single or multiple entry visa for a US citizen costs $70. The visa will be good for a period of two years.

To apply for a visa, a completed application form with a passport sized photo and a valid passport good for at least 6 months along with applicable fees are required.

All Ethiopian hunts begin and end in Addis Ababa.  Addis Ababa is serviced by South African Airlines and Ethiopian Airlines.

A yellow fever vaccination is required for travel to Ethiopia!

Your Safari Outfitter is responsible for securing your firearms import permit.  Several weeks prior to the hunt you must provide your outfitter with your passport information, firearms make, model number and serial numbers.  The Safari Outfitter will make application for the import permit.  If you are using the outfitter’s firearms, a permit still has to be issued before licenses for hunting your desired species can be bought.  Be aware that licenses to hunt individual species must be bought in advance.  Think your trophy list through carefully!

You can import up to three firearms into Ethiopia with no caliber restrictions.  Semiautomatic shotguns and handguns are permitted to be imported.  Each weapon can have up to 120 shells and each shotgun up to 200 shells.

A representative of the Safari Outfitter will meet you and assist you with clearing your guns through customs.  This representative will also accompany you when you leave the country after the hunt is complete.



Visas are required to enter Mozambique.  Although it may be possible to obtain a visa after arrival, it is best to obtain them in advance.  Ask your safari outfitter for assistance obtaining this visa.  Three months prior to your arrival, you should provide your outfitter with two passport sized photographs, a copy of your passport and the caliber, make, model and  serial numbers of any firearms that you will be taking with you.  You mayl need to decide which animals you will hunt, as the licenses and fees need to be paid up-front when hunting some areas in Mozambique.

Exiting Mozambique is a simple process and you will clear immigration where they will stamp your passport.  Your firearms may be inspected to match the serial numbers with your paperwork.



Namibia does not require visas for stays of less than 90 days by US and Canadian residents.

Most safaris to Namibia start in Windhoek.  You will first go through immigration where you will need your PH’s address and phone number.  Then you will proceed to baggage claim to get your luggage and then on to the police booth to obtain your firearms permit.  You cannot fill out the form in advance!  You must fill out the permit application in front of the police officer.  There is no charge for the permit.

You will need your CBC Form 4457 as proof of ownership.  You will also need your Passport, the address where the hunt will take place in Namibia, your return airline ticket with flight number and date, and your firearm details including caliber, serial number and type and quantity of ammunition.

A maximum of two firearms and 60 rounds of ammunition for each rifle are allowed to be temporarily imported.  No handguns or semi-automatic rifles are allowed.  Black powder rifles may be imported, but it is illegal to import black powder or caps.  These items are available from dealers in Namibia.  Pyrodex pellets that are widely popular in the states are almost impossible to find.



ALERT!  Please be aware of the following changes to requlations concerning traveling with children to and from South Africa.

South Africa is a popular destination for taking children and grandchildren on their first safari. There is a  a new development affecting anyone traveling with children to or through South Africa. Starting September 1, new document requirements take effect under the South African Immigration Amendment Act. Be prepared to present an "unabridged" birth certificate showing the particulars of the parents of the child (more on that in a moment). If only one parent is with the child you will also need written consent in the form of an affidavit from the other parent on the birth certificate authorizing the child to enter or depart from the Republic of South Africa, or a court order granting you full parental responsibilities and rights or legal guardianship, or a death certificate for the other parent.

If you are not one of the child's parents, then in addition to the birth certificate, you also need an affidavit from the parents or legal guardian confirming the child has permission to travel with you. Plus, you'll have to produce copies of the parents' identity documents or passports and the contact details for the parents or legal guardian.

What is still unclear is whether a state/province issued birth certificate with the names of the child and parents would be accepted as an "unabridged" birth certificate. Even the folks at South African Airways couldn't tell us. They are seeking clarification on that, and whether a notarized letter would be accepted as an affidavit. They suggested calling the South Africa consulate in your country of origin for further clarification

South Africa does not require visas for US and Canadian citizens that will be staying in South Africa for less than 90 days.

South Africa requires you to obtain a permit to temporarily import your firearms into South Africa.  First of all, you must have CSB Form 4457 signed and sealed listing the correct serial numbers of your firearms.

Then, you will need a copy of the ten-page SAPS 520 form filled out in black ink and with block letters only!  Do not sign this form!  It must be signed in their presence!  Get SAPS FORM 520 at  Click on Downloads and click on Temporary Firearm Import Permits and then select SAPS 520 and print the pdf file.

You will need a copy of your passport

You will need your return plane tickets to your country of origin

You need a letter of invitation from the outfitter.  It should list the address you can be reached at (Immigration asks for this) This letter should state where the hunt will take place, the caliber of weapon needed for the hunt and a statement that the weapon will only be used for hunting purposes.  It should state the period of the hunt and what type of hunt it will be – Big Game, plains game, bird hunting, etc.

If you have all of these items, your wait should be minimal and you will be on your way shortly. (Keep in mind that in peak season, the planes are full of hunters and you may incur a substantial wait, as other flights may be arriving simultaneously)  Go to the bathroom on the plane before landing, as a side trip to the bathroom before going through customs may put you at the back of the line!


If you want to avoid all the requirements of keeping up with South Africa’s gun importation requirements, you may want to use one of several gun permitting services located in Johannesburg.  You can arrange for your permit in advance by FAX and DHL.  To obtain your permit via this method, you must submit all your paperwork at least one month in advance of your departure.  I recommend the Afton Safari Lodge's Permitting Service. They may be contacted at: Afton Safari Lodge Link


A visa is required to enter Tanzania. Tourist visas are issued from the Tanzania Embassy in either New York or Washington D.C. The cost of this visa is $100. Mailing addresses of the embassies are available at the official Tanzania Government Embassy website.   Processing time is typically 5-10 business days.  Rush service is available for $20. Tanzania visas are typically valid for a period of 6 months and allow a maximum stay of 3 months.   If the visa expires before it is used, you will have to reapply. 

You will need two passport sized photos and your passport must be valid for 6 months beyond the dates of travel.  Supplemental page booklets are not accepted for this visa application.  A filled out and signed visa application along with payment is required. The  form is available here:

Your application must contain a sufficiently stamped self-addressed envelope to cover costs of return of your passport by secure mail. You also must include proof of travel plans to and from Tanzania and must provide proof of funds to maintain yourself while in Tanzania.  Bank statements or pay stubs will suffice for this requirement.

Tourists may also obtain Visas at the point of Entry, but I recommend that you obtain your Visa before traveling to Tanzania!  You may also use the services of a Visa assistance company.

Three International Airports serve Tanzania. Major international airports are Julius Nyerere International Airport near Dar es Salaam, Kilimanjaro International Airport about 30 miles outside of Arusha and Zanzibar airport, near Kisauni.

Your outfitter will assist you in applying for your firearms permit.  This must be done well in advance of your safari.  Consult with your outfitter for assistance.

You are allowed to import 3 rifles and 1 shotgun for a Tanzanian safari.   You can import 200 cartridges for each caliber.  No automatic weapons or handguns are allowed.  Dangerous game requires a minimum caliber of .375.  Smaller game requires a minimum caliber of .240.



A visa is required for travel to Zambia and should be obtained from the Zambian Embassy in advance.  The documents required to apply for a Zambia Visa are:

Zambia Visitor Visa

  1. Passport

  2. Payment

  3. Photocopy of your passport

  4. Two (2) visa application forms with two (2) passport photos stapled to upper right corner

  5. Invitation letter from your host in Zambia including a photocopy of their NRC (if they are Zambian) or a photo copy of their work permit (if they are not a Zambian citizen)

  6. Flight itinerary or a copy of ticket

  7. Self- addressed prepaid envelope for return of your passport.

The visa application form for Zambia is available here:

Costs are: $50 for single entry and $80 for double or multiple entries.  Expediting services are available for $50 for one day and $40 for next day service.

Please note that Yellow Fever vaccination or a written waiver is required for entry into Zambia.  Take your Yellow Immunization card with you!

A Temporary Firearms Import Permit (TIP) is required to import a firearm into Zambia. This permit will be issued to your Safari Outfitter.  You will have to provide your Safari Outfitter with your firearms caliber, make, model and serial numbers well in advance.  You will also need to specify the quantity and caliber of any ammunition you will be importing.  The ammunition calibers should match the caliber of the rifles you are importing.  Ammunition is dutiable and runs approximately $1/round.  Bring a couple of hundred dollars in small bill US cash to pay for this duty. The original copy of the TIP will be used by your outfitter to gain entry of your firearms.  You will need the original copy of the TIP when you exit the country.  Make sure the serial numbers on the TIP match your firearms! Your hunting license is issued to your outfitter and he will work with you to see that the necessary licenses are applied for in advance.  The minimal costs of these licenses are usually included in the price of the hunt.



Most safaris in Zimbabwe start from either the airport at Harare, Bulawayo or Victoria Falls.  Visas and gun permits are issued at your arrival airport.  The main complicating factors will be transiting through other countries en route to Zimbabwe.  If transiting through South Africa, it is best to remain in transit prior to boarding a plane for Zimbabwe.  If you must overnight in South Africa, then you will need to comply with South Africa’s Firearm importation procedures.  The best routes through Europe to minimize your firearm hassles are with KLM through Amsterdam or with Swissair through Zurich.  Both of these airlines fly to Johannesburg, where you can catch a flight to your destination in Zimbabwe.

Upon Arriving in Zimbabwe, you will first purchase an Entry Visa Stamp for $20 US.  Then you get your passport stamped.  You will collect your luggage and then fill out your firearms permit.  You will need your firearm serial numbers for this, so keep them handy.  They may look over your firearms and ammunition, but you should be on your way shortly.  When leaving, you will be charged a $20 exit fee, but this is normally included in the airfare ticket costs.